I am one of those crazy people that gets up at a ridiculous hour and heads to the gym before breakfast. I didn’t always used to be like this. As a teenager I would sleep in as late as I could and then get dressed as quickly as possible, grabbing a piece of toast as I stepped out the door.
Over time this began to change and my hour of waking seems to have gotten earlier and earlier. These days my alarm goes off at 5.20am and I am in the gym by 6, home by 7.30 and at work by 9. It may sound crazy but this routine really works for me and I have come to love being an early bird! Exercise is not my only reason for getting up at the crack of dawn. Even on the days that I don’t go to the gym or when I don’t have work I am still very much a morning person. Don’t get me wrong, I love a lie in on the weekend but to me a lie in means waking up by about 8 am (maybe 8.30 at a push).
There are so many great reasons why I love the morning. I understand that it isn’t for everyone, (especially when your bed is so nice and cosy) but for me the morning is a special time of day that I have really come to appreciate over the past few years. Here are a few reasons why:
- I like the feeling of being one of the few people awake and ready to start the day. It’s so quiet outside as most people are still sleeping and the air feels fresh with the start of a new day and new prospects. The peace and quiet of the early morning feels good after being submerged in the hustle and bustle of daily life all week.
- I always feel super productive when I’m up early and I like to get lots of things done. This is when I like to exercise, clean the house and make plans for the day. I love having a bunch of stuff done by 10am as then I can relax and enjoy the rest of my day.
- Getting up one hour earlier each day means 7 extra hours are added to your week. I used to always feel like I never had time to do everything (in fact, sometimes I still do) but this is a great way to give yourself a bit more time to do the things you want to.
- Waking up early and making the most of your day, in my opinion, means that an afternoon nap is totally acceptable if you need a little rest. Busy, productive mornings can be tiring and I often like to have a lazy afternoon or evening totally guilt free!
- Watching the sunrise is one of the best things about early mornings. A new day is beginning and the world is your oyster. I think to enjoy a bit of me-time and enjoy this simple pleasure to start my day.