Sometimes it’s just too easy to get sucked into the pressures of daily life that we become stressed without even realising. The older I get, the more aware I am that time is moving so quickly and I often get worried about life passing me by before I’ve even worked out what to do with it. (Read about my ‘quarter life crisis here’).The more I learn about health and fitness, the more I realise that stress is the root cause of so many problems. As well as physical ailments, stress can lead to mental illness, weight gain, insomnia and it can generally make you really unhappy.
It is inevitable that we will face many stressful situations in our daily lives, and we are bound to go through difficult times. However, there are many things we can do to make our lives a little more stress-free. Here are a few tips which help me de-stress on a daily basis:
- Sing. That’s right, sing! In the car, in the shower, when you’re alone in the house, just put on your favourite CD and belt out a few tunes! I love to have a good sing when I’m driving home from work, there’s something so satisfying about it. No one is there to judge you, no one can hear you (well I hope not, because I think I would offend some people’s ears) J The point is no one cares! It is so liberating and I find it really lifts my mood, so give it a try!
- Go for a walk. I find it so therapeutic to get out into the countryside and breath in some fresh air, especially after spending all week commuting and living in the city. A trip to the beach or a walk in the park is so refreshing and it feels good to do stretch my legs after sitting at work for 8 hours Monday to Friday. Me and my boyfriend like to go for walks after work so we can catch up on our day and actually listen to each other, rather than getting distracted at home by TV or social media. Make the most of your surroundings and enjoy the freedom of the great outdoors and your stress will reduce hugely.
- Listen to music. I already mentioned how great it is to sing, but the power of music is also very beneficial when you’re feeling run down. Putting on a playlist of my favourite songs or relaxing to some chilled out tunes soothes me instantly. Music can help you unwind, forget about your worries and drift off to another place, even if it’s just for a while.
- Read a good book. Reading can help you escape to a new world, experience an adventure or learn something new. I love delving into a good book and losing myself in an exciting story. I could spend hours reading – it is definitely one of my favourite things to do when I have some time to relax. Reading time is ‘my time’ and I feel completely guilt-free when I do it.
- Blog! Writing this blog is one of my new favourite things. Again, it helps me escape to somewhere new and that really helps me to de-stress. I can forget about my hectic day at work and I can sit down and write about something that really interests me. As well as being a hobby, I feel that writing is so good for me – it makes me think, it makes me use my imagination and it makes me reflect on my abilities and my interests. This blog is a blank space for me to write my thoughts and just be myself. I really like that and it makes me happy that you guys read my posts. I love being part of the blogging community and it is really making a difference in my life. So thank you 🙂