Here is a recipe which is quick, simple and most definitely helps to satisfy your sweet tooth. I love baking healthy treats which you can pack in your lunch box or sit down with a cuppa and enjoy. I found a few sweet potato brownie recipes on the internet and adapted them according to what I had in my cupboard, so feel free to take this as a base and create your own variations! Sweet potatoes are a great, nutritious carbohydrate source – they are rich in fibre and full of vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy-living must have.
1 medium sized sweet potato
1 tbsp nut milk (I like almond or coconut but normal milk could also be used)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
4-6 squares of dark chocolate (70% and above)
2 tbsp natural sweetener (such as Stevia or Xylitol)
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup ground almonds (coconut flour is an alternative)
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 scoop whey protein powder (optional for a high-protein snack)
Handful of nuts/chocolate chips (depending on preference)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Peel and boil the sweet potato until soft. Once cooked, drain off excess water and add the milk. Mash potato until smooth.
3. Add coconut oil and eggs to the potato and mix.
4. Add dry ingredients (cocoa, sweetener, ground almonds, baking powder, protein powder) and mix.
5. Melt 2-3 of the dark chocolate squares in microwave or by using a bain-marie and stir into mixture.
6. Add in nuts/chocolate chips etc (sometimes I break up another square of dark chocolate if I don’t have any chocolate chips to hand).
7. Pour into a loaf tin or any medium-sized cake baking tray.
8. Bake for 20-25 mins, or until cake is cooked all the way through (you can test this by sticking a knife in it and if it comes out clean then it’s probably done!). Then leave to cool on a wire rack.
9. Melt the remaining 2-3 dark chocolate squares and drizzle over the top of the cake for an extra-indulgent chocolatey taste. Let chocolate cool.
10. Cut up into snack-sized potions (I get about 8 slices from one loaf-tin). Finally, enjoy!